rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

427 1963. Won't stay running. Shuts off then needs to be

Customer Question

Won't stay running. Shuts off then needs to be restarted. Will stay running if I turn the key and keep starter engaged.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger. This is a great site, but it doesn’t replace a shop or necessary tools.

Very common problem with a bad ignition switch. It's probably coming apart like they all did.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have decent experience but never replaced an ignition switch. Can you guide me?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the part in hand
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

It's at the bottom of the steering column. Take off the old one, unplug it, plug in the new one and install it. I think it's just 2 screws.

thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to pop this out. How do I remove it
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

WRONG, that's the key switch. You need to replace the ignition switch at the BOTTOM of the steering column.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you send a picture or refer me to a website
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

I don't have that information, the car is too old. I did answer your question though and led you to the correct part. Please remember to rate me for the correct information .

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had ordered the correct part myself. You gave me instructions to replace the neutral safety switch on an automatic.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Misunderstanding I suppose, your pic is of a key switch only.

Thanks again, Ron