EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ok the connector wire running to my alternator is heating up

Customer Question

hi ok the connector wire running to my alternator is heating up and turn fire hot. I am losing power but then it comes back. I just ordered another alternator. will that take care of my problem
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: come to think of it my coolant did run lose last week causing car to heat up a little
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 ford expedition 5.4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I will have to fix myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no ? can't think of anything
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 10 months ago.

Hi More than likely the problem that is causing the alternator wire to get super hot is too much resistance on the battery cables at the battery. Sometimes peeling back the coating on the positive cable at the battery terminal will expose corrosion of the wires. In that case cutting the wire back and installing a new terminal or replacing the positive cable should help. Can you check that out and let me know?

Thanks for viewing my response to you on 7/17/2016 at 3:41:23 PM 4 day(s) ago . Do you have any more questions on this? Have you checked any of the wires for high resistance?