Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

After changing the battery and the alternator the truck goes

Customer Question

After changing the battery and the alternator the truck goes totally dead by morning. power locks don't work truck is totally dead. this problem is about two weeks old. checked wiring serpentine belt and battery connections. change the battery. two days later came out that morning truck completely dead. change alternator some thing next morning truck dead.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: yes! did you read what i wrote i replaced the battery.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: ford f150 2012 3.7L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: did you read what I first wrote its in that paragraph. I am an avionics tech on airplanes for a major airlins for 30 years.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have the large red battery on the fault screen
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Is the alternator new or rebuilt? I ask becasue a lot of rebuilds tend to ground out internally and kill off the battery.

Check the alternator by putting the red lead of the millimeter on the case and the blac on the ground for the battery. See if you are reading voltage. If so, the alternator is defective.

Recheck all your connections and make sure they are all tight.

Also one night to rule out the alternator, unplug it after you shut off for the night. If the battery is charged, then the alternator is defective.

That red battery light is becasue you are not charging the battery properly. The battery could have a bad plate in it. I would have the new battery checked. I have bought many of them that were dropped and teh plates inside break causing the exact same issue to happen.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.