Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I have 04 Ford Taurus we have a issue with it not cranking

Customer Question

Hello I have 04 Ford Taurus we have a issue with it not cranking at times battery has been tested good along with the starter motor it had a starter clicking first time and this last time there was a fast clicking noise from the dash with key on or off if headlights were on it would stop we let it sit for a day and it starts fine it's a random issue
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I had a similar issue on a vehicle doing the same thing and it ended up being a harness wire grounding out next to the alternator. Had another one be the alternator itself. What it was doing was backfeeding through the voltage regulator in the alternator and is was powering the relay with the backfeed causing the clicking under the dash. I would have the alternator checked for you might have one going bad and causing this. It will cause a no start for it will open the loop back to the battery from the PCM feed.

Next which is common is the solenoid for the ignition. See if the one by the battery is acting up followed by the starter solenoid on the starter itself. They can both cause intermittent issues like you are having.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will check around the alternator as well as have it checked but when these issues have occurred battery voltage never changed but the clock in the dash is incorrect now and battery has not went dead or been unhooked also before the starting issue occurred we would be driving down the road and the headlights would randomly go out for a few seconds but then come back on
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

Check that igniiton solenoid first near the battery on the firewall and then check the GEM module. The GEM may be going out.