Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 97 f-150, manual 5 speed, 6 cyl 4.2 liter. The

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 97 f-150, manual 5 speed, 6 cyl 4.2 liter. The motor simply shut off while driving. Currently checking the system it has spark, Fuel pump was replaced and motor will not run with starting fluid. No firing whatsoever. CPS was also replaced. I'm thinking timing issues but vehicle has only 118000 easy miles on it. No error codes will show on scanner so if its timing maybe PCM issues?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is one year old and motor turns over well.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far fuel pump, CPS and attempted starting fluid to check for firing. Trying to fix it myself. I have a fair amount of mechanical experience but so far no luck.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

What is a "cps"?

If you have spark and it still won't start with starting fluid, before blaming the timing, let's check for gas fouled spark plugs. Remove 1 and smell it, does it smell like gas?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
CPS - Crankshaft position sensor - plugs aren' fouled, tank is full, no gas smell, motor will not hit with fluid, thats why I'm thinking timing. Also vehicle was running until it abruptly shut down.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, crankshaft position sensor.

Where exactly are you spraying the starting fluid, how much and how fast are you able to try to crank it over after spraying?