Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with my sync radio, recently the

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with my sync radio, recently the two USB ports stopped working. I have tried all the reset options given that I can find online and nothing works. I believe they are lacking power and cannot seem to find a wiring diagram for them.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual?
Customer: I have, it only points to fuses which I have checked.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I need to speak to a real person
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

The usb power and ground comes from the accessory protocol interface module. Its not like they have a fuse or anything. Why do you think they dont have power? Have you tested?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, I have plugged several things into them and it always says no device found. As well when I do plug in a phone or device I get no charging indication on the phone which seems to indicate that its not just a communication issue but a power issue also.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have full wiring diagrams for this vehicle that you could share?

That is probably true. If it is the case and resetting the module isnt helping the module may be bad. I assume you dont have a scan tool capable of communicating with the APIM?

There are thousands of wiring diagrams for this vehicle. I cannot give you copys of every single one of them.

I can tell you where to get them if you like but it will cost you 20 bucks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well if you are able to share the ones I may need for this particular issue and then share the link where ei can buy the rest that would be great. Also of course any thoughts on what issue may be and where to start would be great. I do not have a san tool cable of APIM.

Start by going into the menu on the screen and select help then system information and let me know the software version. It may be as simple as needing the APIM reflashed with new software.

You can get full vehicle information as well as diagrams and everything most independant shops get on the vehicle at alldatadiy.com for 20 bucks a year or so last I checked.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will get that version info for you here after bit.

Take your time. I will be around all day.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
3.08.15128.EA.10_Product is that what you need?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure why it would need flashed if it was working then stopped, but let me know your thoughts

Sometimes software updates are released to cure stuff like this if its a computer glitch causing it.

Unfortunately your software is already up to date. Youre gonna need a scan tool to get in to the APIM and see if theres any codes in there to start.

Actually first you need to check for power and ground at the USB plugs then check again where it comes out of the APIM to see if you got a wiring issue. Then if theres no power and ground out of the APIM you got some sort of issue in the APIM itself.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The box that has the USB ports on it and a couple of plugs on the back slides out and it says " Scrap if Dropped" what is this unit?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
PN# *****

Thats called the media hub.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
wondering if I popped something in there from a bad cable or something

Check your power and ground on your usb ports.. if you have no power check it on the USB cable that comes into the media hub. If you have power there but not at the port itself then the hub is the issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where do i place my meter leads on the USB ports to check? And are you able to share the wiring diagram for this unit and where it connects back to so I can try to trace back where the issue may be?

The two outside pins are your power and ground.

The USB cable from the APIM to the Hub is considered a part assembly and a schematic is not available on it.

I dont have one here at the moment to check but the power and ground SHOULD be red and black in there. Then there should be two white wires for the data.

Here is the diagram on the hub.