Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have an 02 Crown Vic with 137000 miles with a strange

Customer Question

I have an 02 Crown Vic with 137000 miles with a strange problem. The oil pressure gauge flutters wildy (hitting both stops). The problem doesn't occur until the car has reached full operating temp with the car in gear and the brake pedal pressed or when just creeping along with no throttle. Could it be the gauge or the pressure switch or something else?
Also, when I press the brake pedal the lights dim and the alternator gauge needle drops for about 1 1/2 seconds, then returns to where it was. This occurs whether the car is warm or cool. The same thing also happens when the turn signals are activated, operating the power windows, and turning on the a/c. Would it be the alternator, voltage regulatoer or something else?
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the first thing I would do is check the battery and charging system . low voltage would definitely cause this issue

do you have a volt meter to do some checks???

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll get one.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What should I test?
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

battery voltage with engine off

then test the voltage with it running

Roy