Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

My 97 E 350 is not getting power to the running light pin on

Customer Question

my 97 E 350 is not getting power to the running light pin on the trailer connector,. here I found that I have a large fuse, its fine, and 2? relays, the relays I both swapped with their neighbors, no help. at the trailer connector I can measure abot 7 volts for the running lites
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: i also see that 7 volts going into thr relay in the distribution box, and also into the adjacent relay , so my problem seems to be where the current that feeds the relays comes from?
JA: What year is your Volts?
Customer: it has <90k miles and was garaged, very clean , bat is unknown, but the system has 13 + and all other stuff works fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it is a club van
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: one battery
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

It should be 13+ volts, not 7 volts. Move your voltmeter back to the next spot and test again going back toward the battery or just start at the fuse if it's fused and work that way, but from where ever you start, when the voltage changes from 13 to 7, or from 7 to 13, in between those 2 spots will be where the problem lies and it could be a corroded wire, a shorted part, etc. Here are the wiring diagrams to help you determine where to test.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I would test again at the trailer running lamp relay pin 2 where the brown/white wire goes. If it's 13+ volts there, there is a S112 splice next to test at or near engine compartment fuse breakout.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

If it's still 7 volts at that relay test the fuse #14. If the fuse is 13 volts then there is another splice s109 to test that goes to pin 5 of that relay where the yellow wire goes in.