Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

2000 ranger backup wiring inside the cab to hookup a backup

Customer Question

2000 ranger backup wiring inside the cab to hookup a backup camera
JA: Is this an aftermarket camera, or did it come with the vehicle?
Customer: aftermarket
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The camera works, just won't turn on when put into reverse. can't find the correct wire inside the cab
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have a Black/2 purple stripe wire at the taillight, and found the same inside the cab, but when its in reverse there is no voltage through that same color coded wire. so inside the cab the wire harness must change the color code to something else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

That wire does not exist in the cab. You will have to tap and pull it into the cab. The wire comes directly out of the transmission range sensor on the drivers side of the trans and runs to the rear lamps. Wire color is black/pink stripe.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's night now. I'll do that tomorrow morning. I'll also need to get some more wire too. I'll rate as soon as I tap and get it running. Thanks. I thought I was going crazy. I used to replace lasers for Kodak photo, but this was driving me nuts.

Yes, crazy how Ford will use the same color wires for separate circuits.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe that you have answered for the wrong year vehicle. I have a 2000, and the wire was indeed inside, beside the transmission well, under the carpet. I have everything put back together and working now, after talking to my local Ford dealer. ��

Strange,I just double checked the wiring diagram for 2000. does not show that wire anywhere in the cab. Anyways glad you got it working.