Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

4KYFA26100K - IT RAN FINE LAST SEASON ONCE IT STARTED - BUT

Customer Question

HI PEARL,
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 4KYFA26100K - IT RAN FINE LAST SEASON ONCE IT STARTED - BUT IT TOOK A LOT OF PRIMING (45-60 SECONDS ). THIS YEAR IT WON'T START AT ALL. IT HAS GOOD FUEL AND SPARK. IT FLASHES TROBLE CODE 4. CAN YOU HELP?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: YES - CRANKS STRONG AND CONTINUOUSLY - BATTERY IS NEW.
JA: What year is your RV?
Customer: 2004 FORD E450/DUCTHMEN 31'
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES - JUST CHECKED SPARKK AND FUEL - BOTH GOOD.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO - THE CODE 4 MUST MEAN SOMETHING - I AM A 35 YEAR AUTO TECHNICIAN, SO I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT THESE THINGS.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

So you have fuel pressure, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have fuel injecting. See if the engine will start for a few seconds after spraying a few small shots of starting fluid into the throttle body? If it does, then the ignition is fine and it might be no injector pulse or just no voltage to the injectors, so check the fuse.

If it still won't start, make sure the spark plugs are not gas fouled.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I don't recall you saying what engine this is.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

What does that 4KYFA26100K refer to? I read that it is an onan generator, is that correct?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I am reading code 4 refers to a "

OVERCRANK FAULT—CODE NO. 4

(First-level fault code—Cranking exceeded 30 seconds without engine starting)

Corrective Action:

1. Gasoline Models – Check and fill the fuel tank, as necessary. (Note: The genset fuel pickup tube

is probably higher up in the fuel tank than the vehicle engine pickup.)

2. Prime the engine fuel system by holding the control switch at Stop/Prime for 30 seconds.

3. Low Pressure LPG Models – Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary. On cold days the LPG

container may have to be kept at least half full to provide the rate of vaporization necessary to keep

up with the genset fuel demand.

4. High Pressure LPG Models – Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary, and drain the genset

LPG system of oil that may have migrated from the supply system (Item 5, Page 13). Make sure to

re-close the drain valve.

5. Open any closed fuel valves.

6. Secure the spark plug leads on the spark plugs (Page 20).

7. Replace the spark plugs (Page 20).

8. Service the air cleaner (Page 19)."

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Electrical/Generator/Onan/Onan%20Troubleshooting%20Codes.pdf

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I am going to have to wait on you now to see what exactly you are working on, gas engine, diesel engine or generator?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

While I still have this though, https://coloradostandby.com/media/custom/upload/document_technical_983-0101.pdf

page 8 says, code 4 will set when cranking exceeds 30 seconds. See page 22 if it will not start after 3 tries.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HI MIKE - SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE CONFUSION HERE. I'M WORKING ON AN ONAN 4000 GENERATOR - MODEL # ***** IT HAS SPARK AND FUEL FRESSURE AT THE SUPPLY HOSE, BUT WHEN CRANKING, IT DOESN'T EVEN ATTEMPT TO FIRE. WHEN STARTING FLUID IS SPRAYED INTO THE CARBURETOR IT WILL FIRE ONLY ONCE, THEN DIE.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I am no generator expert but I don't think there is a category on our site for it, so I will do my best to help you. If like any engine you have fuel pressure, a spark, compression it should fire. The fact that this generator fires with starting fluid tells me the ignition is fine. Another thing is you have fuel pressure, so that just about leaves the fuel making it into the cylinders. Can I assume this has fuel injectors? If so, make sure their fuse isn't blown and you have voltage to them when the engine is cranking and on run. Other than that I am at a loss. perhaps that troubleshooting guide at page 22 would help at this point, did you look at that?

I don't know if this has a computer that pulses the grounds of the injectors or what. I will take a quick look at it though, page 22 that is.