Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I am working on a 2000 power stroke. Engine runs good but

Customer Question

I am working on a 2000 power stroke. Engine runs good but pickup has no power. Turbo spins free no obvious signs that its out. Also checked fuel pressure and at an idle it has around 50 psi. Have a scan tool have done an engine off and running test with no fault codes. Fuel filter, ICP sensor and map sensor are new. Any other suggestions. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 3 months ago.

Hi there.

No power on a mechanically sound Powerstroke engine usually means not enough fuel is getting to the cylinders. Can your scan tool get data from the IDM? If so, look at injector timing under acceleration as compared to idle. If it's about the same, then either the IDM or the PCM are not doing their job.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will go check that right now and let you know thanks

I'll be here 'till 8 PM.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a snap in verdict scan tool it does not look like I can monitor live data from the idm

You got to have the right tools to work on these things, if not it's just a guessing game. I'll opt out and reopen the question to the field hoping another expert might have a solution for you. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this back to me.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure. Not sure if you can see what Juan and I talked about but I have access to another scan tool and will be checking idm and Pcm live data in the morning. Any other suggestions would be great though.

Is this power loss occurring at all speeds and gears and more rpm does not help?

Can you tell if boost pressure is being made?

Air filter clean?

Does it smoke at anytime?

Is a misfire ever felt?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
power loss is at all speeds. Pickup has the same attitude as when they're gelled up. Boost pressure is one thing I have not checked yet but I assume that if the turbo was out and everything else was fine there would be black smoke. The pickup never smokes at all. Air filter is clean and have never had a misfire.

When you apply throttle is there a delay in the rpms increasing or is it responding fast?

If the transmission is automatic, set the parking brake and stand on the brake pedal. In drive apply full throttle for 5 seconds, what is the max rpm reached?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When you hit throttle it does respond right away but seems sluggish. When you power brake pickup for 5 seconds it only goes to 1350rpm

The stall test confirms this is the engine to blame. All of this is pointing to the IDM not controlling the injector pulse width correct and causing the low power. Another possible cause is the accelerator pedal position sensor.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris