Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2004 Explorer PATS light blinks fast and wont turn over, it

Customer Question

2004 Explorer PATS light blinks fast and wont turn over
JA: Does the light blink and then stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?
Customer: it blinks steady fast, and no, I dont know the code
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes hoping to fix myself, I've disconnect the battery for 30 min. trying to reset computer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Try disconnecting the battery and holding the cables together for a while. This will discharge the capacitors that hold power and memory even when the battery in not connected.

Troubleshooting:

The engine does not start and LED remains off.
1. Check PATS system fuses
2. If alarm is fitted check if LED functions for alarm: if not check cigar lighter fuse (also used for LED)
3. If not go to main dealer

Engine does not start: LED flashes rapidly Leave ignition on until the LED starts to flash a 2 digit code: (sequence- pause-sequence)
Check the following codes:
Code flashes:
1:3 Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty. If not go to main dealer
1:4 Partial code only received. Try again. If not okay use different key. If not go to main dealer
1:5 Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master
1:6 Faulty link between PATS module and EECV Go to dealer .
For more information and troubleshooting tips:
PATS-Troubleshooting-DIAGNOSTIC-Service-Tips and:
Programming Ford-PATS

If you need more help, we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars. Please let me know why and how I can help you more. Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
blinking PATS light is back to normal but it still wont turn over
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

You may need to tow to dealer, or you may be able to call a mobile locksmith who has the correct Ford software. You will need to get the code, this will be needed to diagnose any farther. You need a dealer scan tool, or high end snap on or similar.