HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2001 FORD ESCAPE CAR STARTS WHEN IGNITION IS IN ON POSITION,

Customer Question

2001 FORD ESCAPE CAR STARTS WHEN IGNITION IS IN ON POSITION, STICKS THE STARTER WHILE RUNNING
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you hear any clicking sounds when you try and start it?
Customer: 206,122 IT STARS FINE , ITS A SHORT IT STARTS IN THE IGNITION ON POSITION NOT START
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I AM FIXING IT JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ITS THE LOCK CYLINDER
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I REPLACED THE SWITCH ALREADY
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, does the ignition key spring back when you cycle it to crank and on positions? Will it crank over in the crank position as well or do you have to push in on the key for it to crank over normally? Will the starter engage once the vehicle is running, keep cranking with the key in the on position? No aftermarket alarm or remote starter system installed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
spring on the switch is normal but the lock cylinder is loose and there's a small electronic plug on the lock cylinder. yes it keeps cranking in he on position, yes starter stays engaged once engine is running (advanced auto) starter. no aftermarket alarm. we can talk on the phone also
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, if the cylinder is loose, that isnt a good thing, typically there is an issue with the steering lock actuator that turns the ignition switch. If you leave the electrical switch out of the ignition housing does it do the same thing or only when installed in the lock actuator housing on the back of the ignition cylinder?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I never took the cylinder out, I unplugged the little plug on it, no start so i plugged it back, yes the lock cylinder has play when the key is in it. it does the same thing when I turn the switch while its out of the housing, so the lock cylinder may not be a problem unless the little micro plug on the lock is triggering the defect. maybe I got a defect started from (advanced auto parts), the starter I removed was fried, made no noise and was hot to the touch on the solenoid. it stars up while ignition key is in the on position..
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Yes then I would agree, if the ignition switch isnt sending power down to the small solenoid wire, it could be shorted in the starter itself. You can remove the starter and bench test it by just hooking up main battery power to the main starter connection(large battery feed) and see if it stays engaged.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is sending power but I will remove the starter and have it checked now, I will also contact you in a few hours is that ok?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Yes take your time

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hey. I installed a new advance auto parts starter and still starts in the on position and I already replaced the ignition switch. now there was some wiring repair in the wiring harness. I see electrical connectors. I peeled the tape back. so far it looks as if the previous mech, got the correct wires right, there are two white wires with red stripe in the harness, it looks like they are correct and not reversed. if not, then it seems I have excess wobble in the lock cylinder as I turn the key. its either of right now I think, what do you think. what would be my next procedure?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

The large red wire goes to the main larger stud on the starter the white pink wire should only be hot in the crank posiiton goes to the smaller stud on the starter. Here is the circuit. Unless the starter relay is shorted, im assuming this is a 3.0 v6 engine with automatic trans

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know those wires I switched the started relay the wires I'm seen were in the harness by the water junction hoses, by the bell housing near the battery, I will check the relay again or I may have to call you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have you heard of a lock cylinder defect?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Only with the actuator the ignition switch sits on, usually you have to push in on the key in order for it to crank over. Either a short to power on the ignition switch circuit or issue with the wiring melted/shorted

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I will go thru the wiring circuit. hopefully I will find the breech. ill contact you tomorrow?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Yes, take your time. you have the schematic. Worst case scenario you can overlay part of the ignition key circuit.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I removed the starter relay, and added a switch to the starter circuit and I can start and run the car this way, I believe there is a defect in the lock cylinder key code circuit. cant access that info but it might be wiring issues with this car. any other suggestions?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Long as the THEFT indicator isnt flashing fast when you turn the key to on, then the vehicle should start. The light should come on when you turn the key to on and go off after a few seconds. If it flashes quickly there is an issue with the security key or a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool would need to be done.