Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

1991 ford mustang 347 stroker motor, just rebuilt with 30lb

Customer Question

1991 ford mustang 347 stroker motor, just rebuilt with 30lb injector, but the car is running really rich. We have just checked it over, but not the TPS setting or adjustments. What is the best TPS setting to use. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I assume this is the 5.0l stroked. If the engine is running too rich, the first thing to check is the fuel pressure, if it's too high due to a kink in the fuel line, it could be causing a too rich fuel mixture because the little bit of time the fuel injector is open, the high fuel pressure would be forcing too much gasoline into the engine. It should not be over 45 psi. I'll see what I can find out about adjusting the tps.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

The tps reading on a voltmeter should be 0.39 at idle or 0.20 if it has a mass air flow sensor, then 4.84 at wide open throttle.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Here is the section for the tps, although I don't see an actual adjustment and didn't you say, "but no adjustment with the TPS", so if the readings aren't correct, I suppose you will need a new tps.