AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Ford F-150. The headlights came on by themselves while

Customer Question

2001 Ford F-150. The headlights came on by themselves while car was parked and they will not shut off. Removed switch, still on while it was removed. Removed all relays from under the hood ans under the dash, lights still on. Removed battery cable overnight, hooked it back on and the lights came back on and stayed on. I have the lariat model with auto light controll.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: The truck has 220,000miles and starts normally
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have pulled all the relays. The ones under the dash were quite warm, not hot. I pulled the light switch and removed it, the lights did not go off, even with the switch removed. Disconnected the Battery overnight and then reconnected it. The lights still stayed on.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Are there any sensors I have missed checking?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1FTRX18L21NB34097
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Do you have daytime running lights on the truck?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

The first step would be to see if fuse 26 and 28 in the central junction box has power on them when when the headlights are staying on.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If so and the headlight switch is unplugged, you might just have a bad multifunction switch.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Disconnect the multifunction switch and see if the headlights turn off. If so, the switch is likley at fault.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The headlights are off during the day and can come on automatically at night
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Ok, this means you do not have daytime running lights. Then the diagram I sent above is correct

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Headlights stay on when multi function switch is unplugged
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

And what about power on those fuses I mentioned?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check the fuses and get back to you.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuses are fine. I checked the light sensor located at the top of the dash. It was bad. I disconnected it and the lights went off. I think this is the problem, but will not be sure until I replace it.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If the light sensor is bad, there is no possible way the lights would stay on with the multifunction switch unplugged

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, the multi function switch was operational, just the light sensor unpluged. The lights are working normally but must be turned on manually.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If you look at the diagram I sent you, there is no possibly way that the headlights can recieve power if the multifunction switch has been disconnected from the circuit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The multi function is not disconnected.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I am talking about when you did the test.