cardoctor74
cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to fix all makes and models
3827149

2012 FOCUS NO CRANK NO START SOMETIMES

Customer Question

2012 FOCUS NO CRANK NO START SOMETIMES
Category: Ford
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 11 months ago.

Are there any dash warning light on? Also this is an automatic transmission correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The dash lights are all on and sometimes it will start but sometimes you have to leave the key phone for a minute or two before it would start. I have noticed that when it won't start the gearshift position indicator does not light up except in park but if you put it in neutral and wait when the Neutral light illuminates you can start it. I also noticed that the keyless entry system does not work.

Do me a favor see if it starts in neutral every time can be an issue with the transmission switch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it will not start in any gear and tell the lights on the indicator illuminate. Sometimes you can wait just a few seconds and sometimes it takes a few minutes as soon as the light illuminates The engine will start when I turn it to start.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also I noticed a couple of times that when I put it in drive it would not go and I noticed when that happened The indicator was not illuminated. I waited and when the D illuminated the car went into gear.

Ok when the car is running are there any check engine lights on or warning lights?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No lights on when running.

Ok this is all caused by transmission range switch on the transmission and should be covered under warranty . How many miles on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has 168k miles warranty ran out at 150k. I don't think it is the shift position switch as moving the shifter while holding ignition to start has no affect.

Yes the faulty range switch will need to be checked next for this issue this is where all these symptoms are pointing to .This is the next step.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.Im here if you need any further assistance .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok tomorrow I will replace the range switch and let you know what happens.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I replaced the range switch and it still doesn't work. I am certified in computerized engine controls and haven't been able to find the problem. Was hoping you had seen this before. I think it's probably specific to this model.

Yes its most common the transmission range switch did you use a factory deal part ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ford part.

Ok just to be sure you did this while the battery was disconnected and there was no chance at all or damage to the harness?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No damage to harness. I can turn key on and it will not start but I can shift to neutral Ana wait until the N lights up and then starts every time. But if I turn it off and wait a few minutes I have to turn it on and wait again.