virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

I have a 2001 focus. I replaced the brake master cylinder

Customer Question

I have a 2001 focus. I replaced the brake master cylinder and now I cant get the brakes to bleed. I didn't bench bleed the MS before installation...could this be the problem?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: 130,000.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced all the brake lines, new calipers, rotors and pads on the front.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.To answer your question, yes if you don't bench bleed it you will find it almost impossible to bleed on the car. You can try cracking open the lines where they connect to the master then having someone push the brake and retightening the line before they pull the peddle up. Do that about 15-20 times and it should be similar to bench bleeding it. You will see it squirting out of the connections when it starts to work. But make sure to do it the full 15-20 times even if it starts squirting out earlier than that.Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Do you still need help with this problem? Did my suggestions help? If so can you give my answer a positive rating? But if you need any more help please let me know.Thanks