Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 3.0 Liter engine that

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 3.0 Liter engine that goes into ABS mode at slow speeds. Front wheel speed sensor data matches for both sides but the rear sensor lags behind by about 3 to 4 miles per hour. I already replaced the rear sensor but still have the same results.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, do you have the stock size tires on the vehicle? Stock differential gear ratio? Is it setting codes for the abs system? Any front brake work done to it recently? Any slight waver in a speed signal will cause an abs event.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the wheel size is correct for the vehicle (245/75/16) the tires are evenly worn (75% tread) and the gear ratio is stock. The truck has a 100,000 miles on it and the front breaks where just done but this problem was evident before the break job and as I told you in my original post, the front two wheel speed sensors match !! The rear is the one that lags behind !!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Ok, reason why I was asking is because a common problem when you have this type of issue is when the front rotor are removed and the grease seals are replaced. If someone accidently hits the tone wheel on the rotors, it can cause a slight deflection and change the air gap between the tone wheel and the sensor, the speed might match, you are looking for a small variance at a given time when driving slowly. The rea speed sensor reads off the differential tone wheel on the differential carrier, which would only have an issue if the wheel was bent from replacing a ring gear and pressing it back together.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The information that you have given is of absolutely NO HELP !!
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Would you like me to try and help?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help. Have you checked for a damaged rear tone ring?
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris