Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1999 f250 7.3L has intermittent hard brake pedal without

Customer Question

1999 f250 7.3L has intermittent hard brake pedal without power assist. Happens after vehicle has been parked. After a few difficult stops, brakes work fine again. Just replaced hydro booster, flushed lines, bled out, etc. Same as before.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello

One other thing to try is to remove the master cylinder again and have your assistant push down on the brake pedal to expose the pushrod as it exits the servo

on the end of the pushrod there should be a little adjustment nut

try screwing this out a turn or two and put it all back together

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't see how your suggestion could be the answer. I was experiencing the same thing about 2 years ago when I discovered power steering fluid was low. I added fluid and the problem went away for almost two years. When it recurred a few weeks ago, the fluid level was full, so I decided it must be a bad hydrobooster. Your suggestion would seem logical if the problem was consistent, but it is not. Could a problem with the ABS have any connection?
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Ok

thanks for the extra information

can I ask what colour the power steering fluid is? as it needs replacing with fresh every 2.5-3 years

if its a pitch black then it will need replacing with fresh and this makes quite difference to the amount of effort that can be generated

if this is OK then its possible that you have air trapped inside the ABS module

and you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air inside

the dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding

however I've had good results buy just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABS

and then re-bleed

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this last responce seems to fit better. fluid was bad, but replaced. i suspected trapped air, but could not verify. today i parked and then drove truck 6 times. each time i cranked, i pushed brake and turned steering wheel back and forth. then i drove low speed like before. has not failed all day. i pull out with 5th wheel tomoro a.m. hoping my method will continue. no one seems to be sure.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello

OK cycling the steering will help flush the fluid around the system so any trapped pockets of air or old fluid will be thoroughly mixed up which may have helped

like I say if the fluid is dark then I'd drain off what you can and refresh it

hopefully this will be enough to solve the issue

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you