Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

My ac doesn't work I've replaced the compressor and tryed to

Customer Question

Hi my ac doesn't work I've replaced the compressor and tryed to put oil and freon and th clutch didn't engaged so I checked the fuses and their good so I unplugged the compressor and checked if it was getting power and its not passing any kind of voltage can you give me any pointers?
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: The fuse box inside yes and the circuit I'm not sure witch one is that one
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 f150 5.4 4x4 xl
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I've tried bypassing it, checked all my fusses, bought a new compressor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Checked to see if their was any voltage going to the compressor but nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there is an ac pressure transducer that sends a signal to the computer to cut the power to the compressor if the pressure is too low or too high. With the system empty, this is why there is no power to the compressor. It is a safety measure.

At shops this is not an issue as we charge it on the high side with a machine and dont need to the compressor running.

On older cars you could simply jumper the pressure switch to kick the compressor on. This is no longer the case as this will fry your vehicle's computer. So you will need to apply 12v to the compressor at the compressor connector in order to kick the compressor on so that the suction side of the compressor will suck in the refrigerant from the low pressure service port you have the can of refrigerant connected to

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is their any way I can get it going my self?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

HI,

Not sure if you missed that part, but yes, you will need to apply 12v and ground directly to the compressor. Use jumper wires from the battery to the compressor harness connector to jumper the compressor for it to run while you fill the system

Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?