Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

My 2001 Ford Tarus was involved in an automobile accident.

Customer Question

My 2001 Ford Tarus was involved in an automobile accident. Someone ran a stop sign and just clipped the front of the car. The front bumper was torn off. No other damage. I'm concerned about driving the car. I don't know if the trigger for the air bags would now be exposed and deploy the air bags. I drove the car from the accident scene to my house with no problem. Do you think it would be safe for me to drive till I can get it replaced?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Are you planning on driving it with the bumper cover off or did you get it back on?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

The main crash sensor is actually in the restraints control module mounted in the interior of the vehicle. The front sensor is an impact severity sensor that works in conjunction with the main sensor in the module. I wouldn't be concerned of the airbag deploying from the cover missing, but any foreign object impact could cause damage to the sensor or the A/C condenser, radiator etc..

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I was reviewing some of my older questions and noticed I was never compensated for this question because it was not rated. If it was your intention to not rate me and use my services free of charge then I will accept that as a free service I provided and move on.

Kenny Z