Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Check engine light came in while traveling, checked oil very

Customer Question

Check engine light came in while traveling, checked oil very low and added it. Check engine light still on, cylinder 7 tested misfiring, can I drive 150 miles home with a misfiring # ***** spark plug
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Engine light steady on with a little vibration at idle
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 excursion
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced oil, tested vehicle at auto zone, but we are traveling and won't be able to fix it for a few days
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Excursion.

After replacing (topping off) the oil level, did the misfire still occur?

Does the check engine light flash at all (even when driving)?