Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist

I have a 2008 Ford Escape 4l V6 that has been running

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Ford Escape 4l V6 that has been running progressively rougher and rougher over the last month, until yesterday when it finally left me stranded. Most days after a stop light or rolling stop/turn it would feel unresponsive to the gas petal like it was running out of gas, but i could flutter the petal and it seemed to sort of work through it & go back to normal. Yesterday it started running rough while climbing a small hill and stopped responding to the gas petal and a yellow wrench light came on in the far left corner. I pulled over & turned it off for a few minutes, and when i started it back up, the light was gone, and the car ran rough but otherwise fine for a few minutes, then stopped responding to the gas petal all together, I pushed & pumped & nothing. I had it towed home & when i went to pull it into the drive way, same thing, runs a little rough, but otherwise fine, for a few minutes, then drops to an idle no matter how much i push the gas petal. the RPMs bounce between(###) ###-####while idling, and idle is really rough, the only way i can think to explain it is to relate the feeling to a 50 year old truck that needs tuned up.
I had the codes read today & came up with P0171, P0174, P02195 & P2197.
What would be your recommended course of action at this point? I have limited mechanical abilities, but am great at following directions & have a more mechanically included friend who can help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 months ago.

Hello, you wrote 4L engine, that is not offered in a 2008 escape so, I kind of need to know what engine you do in fact have, Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry - mixed that up with my old explorer..... it's the 3.0L
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
per the Vin lookup:
Engine series: V-6 3.0L
Engine type: 3.0L V6 DOHC 24Vhope that helps.

ok, back shortly

I own and drive a Mazda Tribute, same thing, same engine. The codes? the symptoms? I have my thoughts on this but.. on several occasions I have had a problem a with a PCV system vacuum hose on right side of engine or near the firewall, burning hole through it, causing bad vacuum leak and many issues,. One can open hood, run engine best you can and you will hear the hissing, Grab hold of the hoses at that area on right side near firewall on coming off intake, you may disturb one that affects how it runs etc. Back to my thoughts, You have every sign, symptom as well as codes set for a failing or failed fuel pump, Yes,, you can keep running at times but pressure is not enough to allow proper running at most time now, so, I lean to Fuel pump but,, I 100% know the bad vacuum hoses can cause this