Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Intermittent starting problem 2008 Ford Fusion V6 SEL.

Customer Question

Intermittent starting problem 2008 Ford Fusion V6 SEL. Sometimes starts right up, other times just get a "click". Replaced ignition switch, battery is reading over 10v when starting. Thoroughly cleaned battery terminals and connectors. Getting ready to take to mechanic to check starter. Any thoughts?
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: No
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'd like to assist you here. Well if your battery is somewhere around 12.68 volts static and doesn't drop below 9.5 volts during cranking or under load, i would say that battery is testing good. As long as it is the applicable battery with the correct cold cranking amps, all connections are tight and battery cables from starter to battery and battery to ground do not have high resistance ( should be around 0.2 ohms) it sounds like the starter. Typically a weak starter will make a single " click " sound when cranking. If these are all true , it sounds like a starter failure to me. Also, after the car is idling, test the alternator charging voltage at the battery, should be somewhere between 13.5v and 14,5v. Please let me know what you find , If this helps , Please kindly rate my services, and remember we can always continue our conversation here even after rating. Thank you, -Chris