Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

I just bought a 1999 F150 and it blew out a spark plug, how

Customer Question

Hi I just bought a 1999 F150 and it blew out a spark plug, how can that happen? and is there an affordable fix for this problem. The engine is the Triton 5.4V8
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: It is an automatic and it has 171000 miles
JA: What is the model of your '169000 Ford?
Customer: F150 supercab
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't plan to fix it my self. It is under warranty and I want to make sure they fix it Wright. And not just replace the spark plug
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

you are correct just replacing the spark plug will not fix this problem as the threads need to be replaced in the head for that spark plug

what the shop has to do is install a heli coil or threadcert which either is a thread replacement for that spark plugs

once either is done that spark plug will not blow out again

what causing this to happen as i am assuming the old plug blew out at the threads is the plug somehow was loosend up or left loose or not torqued down correctly

if the plug blew out where the porcelain meets the threads then that is just due to a defective spark plug or the porcelain was cracked

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

how are you making out ?