Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

99 F250 7.3 ZF6 180K stalls out as soon as the RPMs drop

Customer Question

99 F250 7.3 ZF6 180K stalls out as soon as the RPMs drop when going to downshift
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Are you getting a check engine light?

If you can't pull codes and the vehicle will drive, can you go to autozone and get the free scan for codes they do and get the codes the vehicle has? It will help a lot. It will let me know if the issue is being seen with the cam position sensor, IPR issue, oil issue, injector issue, etc. You are describing a oil rail issue, possibly a fuel pressure issue, but I have a good feeling that your IPR is bad and holding open when it should be closing causing the pressure to dump off and not keep the engine running. Usually when I get a truck in for this complaint, the IPR is the typical problem. The second has been the cam sensor. The stored codes have always helped me in that determination though.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have checked for with my Solus. There are no stores or pending codes at this time. It doesn't do it all the time just sometimes if I'm on a long pull up a hill or if I'm in a low gear consign down a hill or at a higher RPM for an extended time and I go to downshift is when it will happen.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

That is odd. If you are only having it happen then I'm wondering if you have a fuel tank suction issue or if the filter in the tank has debris or if the fuel pump in the tank is acting up. If this is intermittent only when under a load like that, it is usually fuel related in the tank.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My fuel gauge doesn't read correct it's always a 1/4 off. I had the tank down about a year ago and cleaned both in tank filters
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Check your pump pressure then. You can also have debris inn the tank since.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What's the best way to check fuel pressure? Will the Solus do it or do I need to build a gauge?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Using a gauge is best. Fuel only needs to get to 60 psi on the gauge to read at 42. The oil needs to read up to 4000 for the high pressure rail and read 1000 psi increments.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a port to check fuel and what's the best way to check oil pressure
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Oil pressure can be done with a scanner or putting a 4000 psi gauge onto the ICP hole using adapters.

Fuel pressure can be checked at the fuel filter. You have a port next to it or you install a fuel gauge inline.