Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Can you please tell me the location of the power seat relay

Customer Question

Can you please tell me the location of the power seat relay for the captain's seat and the power lock relay for a 1997 ford econoline E150? thanks
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally? What is the model of your '97 Ford?
Customer: Yes it is fine, 95k
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I hope to replace the relays myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there is no relay for the power seat. Power goes directly from fuse #16 (30amp) in the instrument panel fuse box to the driver seat switch.

For the power locks, if it has memory lock, there is a relay behind the B pillar panel(this is the trim panel directly after the driver door opening.

If it does not have memory lock, there is no relay. Power goes directly from fuse #5 in the instrument panel fuse box directly to the driver side and passenger side door lock switches.

Wiring diagrams are attached

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

here are diagrams for door locks with memory lock

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Since there is no relay for the driver's power seat do you have any ideas why the seat power works sporadically and intermittently? I checked all three seat motors and cleaned all the wire connections. This is a conversion van that also has a power sofa bed in the back and it works fine, would that change the schematics for the seat relay?Also I purchased this vehicle used and I am not sure if it has "memory lock", how can I tell if it has it?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

The rear sofa would be on a separate circuit and not affect the driver power seat. Intermittent failure indicates the power seat switch is faulty, usually due to either worn contacts inside or broken soldering inside the switch.

Without memory lock only has power locks at driver and passenger front seat. Memory lock has power locks at ALL doors - front, side and rear

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your information I appreciate it, I have already replaced the power seat switch however and I still can't resolve the issue.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

You will need to trace the black with white stripe wire from the switch to the fuse box and the black wire which is the ground wire for any cuts,chafing, breaks, or loose connections and repair as needed. I would start with the ground wire as it is the most likely suspect

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?