Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Air injection silencer assembly is blowing air out of it?

Customer Question

JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: couple months 152,000
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 93 f250 4x4 7.5 liter
JA: What year is your F250?
Customer: 1993
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if it's easy to fix I'll do it. Haven't tired anything yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing with air blowing out of the silencer is in most cases caused by failing one way check valves. The thermactor air system is designed to inject air into the exhaust system and not allow the exhaust gasses to flow back the other way. You can check this by removing the hoses off of the check valve and see if there is exhaust coming out of them, there should not be at all. If so, replace them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Check%20valves%20Jul%209.pdf