Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I have a 99 ford explorer that has a number of odd things

Customer Question

i have a 99 ford explorer that has a number of odd things happening. there are times it goes into 4 wheel hgh while driving on dry highway at 60 mph and dry roads recently it started up, moved about 20 feet and then stopped. it then acted like it was in neutral. When moved into drive, reverse or park, it seemed like it was in neutral.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: then i checked the cable, it was connected and moving at lever and at trans underneath.
JA: What year is your Explorer?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: later i tried again and no issues. now i am leary to trust it. someone suggested it may be a module near the fuse box that electronically controls the trans?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i would like to fix it myself but not sure if i can.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Is the O/D light or the 4x4 light flashing by chance? That will let you know there is a fault in the module. If not, then the issue may be mechanical or 2 separate issues going on.

To test the transmission modules, you will need the Ford IDS scan tool on and monitoring the transmission or a simialr scanner with the capability. This way when it is shifting, the tech is recording what it going on and monitoring the shift points. They can also see the voltages on the solenoids to indicate if the issue is internal of the transmisson with the solenoids, a mechanical issue, or if the issue is in the transmission controller.

With an issue as unique as this, I would have a transmission shop look at it. AAMCO does a lot of the checks for free or for a low rate. I would start there for they can test it right quick and it is cheaper than Ford. Another option is to have the vehicle scanned at Autozone for transmission codes. They can do it for free. It will narrow down if the issue is electrical and where to start.

I suggest this because that module that is being referenced, the ESOF aka 4x4 module is about $400 plus the cost of programming. The transmission shifting is done by the PCM and that can range from $300 to $600 plus programming. I'd hate to blame a module for an issue like a short to a relay in the GEM module aka fuse box or a solenoid in the transmission that costs around $30 and just shy of $85 for the labor. I rather have it tested for codes and a shift pattern issue first and go from there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy