AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

On my 98 expedition - when turning left at slow speed and

Customer Question

on my 98 expedition - when turning left at slow speed and applying the brakes, there is a thumping sound - I've checked the wheel bearings and they are in fine order - what could be causing the thumping ?
JA: If your brakes make any unusual sounds, it's good to look into it right away. Luckily, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with brake issues. What year is your Expedition?
Customer: my is a 98 eddie bower
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I hope I can fix it - have checked the wheel bearings - they are ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. This thumping sound you are hearing is due to warped rotors. It could be in the front or the rear of the vehicle. If you are feeling it in the steering wheel, then the rotors in the front are warped and need to be replaced. If the you dont feel it in the steering wheel but feel it in the seat or the brake pedal, this could be coming from the rear rotors.