Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

I have a 2003 ford explore that when i drive in the morning

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford explore that when i drive in the morning to start it drives great but after that i get in to drive it again after its warmed up its has a hesitation when you press the gas to low Rpm's but once you give it gas for more power it goes away but it also idles rough to
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, what engine is in this explorer? A 4.0 SOHC engine? How many miles are on it? Are any of the warning lights on? ANy work done recently and now the concern started happeneing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can i get an answer please
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jeremy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I will try to answer your question if you provide me with more information like I asked. Have you had a check for diagnostic trouble codes with a scan tool done ? Other questions are above.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i replace coil packs plugs and wires also just got work done on it also but this issue has been doing it before i put the coil packs and pluggs and wires on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the egine light does not come on could it be a vaccum leak
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, yes it could be a vacuum leak at the pcv valve hose on the intake, but you didnt mention what engine is in it to locate it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry 4.0 6 liter
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok the pcv valve hose might be collapsed and will cause a low idle and stalling issue, the pcv valve is located on the back of the drivers side valve cover and the hose runs to the passenger side front of the upper intake manifold, inspect it for being collapsed and sucking in unmetered air.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its not stalling out
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

It can cause a rough idle and a hesistation. Also even if the check engine light is off, a check for codes should be done with any drivability issue. Most auto parts stores will test for codes for free. Lean codes will be pending if it has a vacuum leak or fuel pressure issue

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 2003 ford explorer 4.0 6 cylinder I have put new coil packs wires and and plugs. I just put new timing chains front and back what its doing is and it was doing this before i did all this work when i first start out when its cool it doesn't do this but when its warm it does when I start to excerlarate at low speed it misses doesn't stall out. and once I go higher speeds it doesn't do it anymore plus it idles rough some times any Ideas
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I hope you are well.

My name is***** will see if I can help you.

What access to diagnostics equipment do you have?

If you are able, allow the vehicle to cool overnight, in the morning connect the diagnostics and view the live data from the engine sensors, look at the temperature sensor readings, ideally all should be within a couple of degrees of each other, especially the engine coolant temperature sensor, all should be close to ambient temperature.

If the sensor is faulty and reading low temperatures, the engine would start and run normally then get worse as it warms up as it would effectively still be on choke.

Another parameter to view on the live data, is whether the engine control is in closed loop when the problems arise or open loop still.

When the engine is first started, the ecu runs in open loop, essentially ignoring various emissions sensors during the warm up then switches to closed loop as various parameters are met and thing like the heated oxygen sensor in the exhaust come up to operating temperature.

I question if it is sensors that either report the temperature of come into closed loop as the vehicle warms up that are reporting incorrectly, as such this would not log a fault code like a broken sensor would as the ecu would not be able to recognise the sensor is lying.

This would also explain the good running when cold, given you have already paid attention to the ignition and timing system.

Another area I would be looking at is the injector quantity adjustment figures, and considering whether an injector has a fault as it is warming up.

Unfortunately, it appears I can not have a discussion without it giving the option of rating as this question has previously been attended to, please take into account that I have not had the opportunity of conversation as yet.