Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 2000 Focus SE. It has the DOHC Zetec engine. One

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Focus SE. It has the DOHC Zetec engine. One day it just started stumbling and trying to die when i push the gas. I have to feather the throttle to keep it from dying. It does it when i take off from a stop and when I try to accelerate when Im already moving. Sometimes its worse than others but it always does it. If i feather the gas the right way i can get it up to freeway speed but if i try to speed up on the freeway the it wont really do anything until i push the gas far enough to make it downshift, then the rpms go way up and it accelerates just a little. Going up hills it sometimes wont go over 45-50 on the frreway no matter how much i push the gas. The worst is when im on surface streets and try to go up a hill from a stop( like going up an overpass) if i dont work the gas the right way it will start to sputter really bad and it usually doesnt die but i will have to come to a complete stop and rev the engine a few times in neutral then i can get it to go. When the car is not moving and in park, it will rev up almost normally except if i stab the gas really fast while its idling, then it stumbles and dies.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a weak fuel pump or a plugged fuel filter, what have you tried to fix this so far?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump strainer. I have a scan tool that reads sensor data. It says the pump puts out about 38-40 psi wheni turn the key on. When im driving the car the pressure stays right at 40 psi all the time. It only goes up or down 1-2 psi but mostly stays at 40
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

are there any codes stored in the computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No codes. I replaced the mass air flow sensor and air filter. The spark plugs and coil are only two months old.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can i tell if the fuel pump is weak?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

you would need a fuel pressure gauge, do you have a scanner to read the engine data