Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

1997 ford exp. Drivers door locks upon closing. Can only

Customer Question

1997 ford exp. Drivers door locks upon closing. Can only open from outside handle (not key)(key works occasionally) or with pressure on rod connected to inside door handle. How to I get access to see problem. (No electonic actuator)
Door panel and inside door handle are ready off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

If it didn't take too long to remove the door panel, I suggest removing the passenger door panel just to see how things work in there. In the meantime, Fordarts.com has very good diagrams of their vehicles and I am going to look through the repair manuals I have access to and find out what is going on there or at least how to get a good look in there.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Is this a 2 door or 4 door and does this not have keyless entry?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

The repair manual says the Explorer has a GEM (general electronic module) to control body electronic controls and even has a troubleshooting guide,

I saved a few of the steps, namely TEST A: ONE POWER DOOR LOCK INOPERATIVE, TEST C: ALL POWER DOOR LOCKS INOPERATIVE (EXPLORER , TEST I: POWER DOOR LOCKS OPERATE IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY (EXPLORER and TEST P: POWER DOOR LOCKS OPERATE INTERMITTENTLY (EXCEPT VAN)

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

This should be the diagram of the parts inside that door,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

I do see an actuator.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

The first thing to do though would be to retrieve the trouble codes from that gem module.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mike....you missed the point. There is no electronic actuator on this vehicle. If you read my question you will see that Ivsaid, door handle rmoved, door handle removed. Problem explained. iI feel you did not read my question thoroughly
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

I didn't miss the point, I am only telling you what I read.

I read where you said that, I am only pointing out what the ford parts.com website says. Unless of course it's the wrong vehicle for which you didn't answer, "Is this a 2 door or 4 door and does this not have keyless entry?"

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mike, The door panel is off and Ican see where the actuator would be and there is not one. If I could download the trouble code I would not need you. If you see an actuator in what you are looking at would it not be visible to me?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I stated in my question it used a key. Mike, I don't feel you and I are communicating. I will advise just answer