Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Have been working on Ford GM and Chrysler for 15+ years and ASE master certified.
27644750

Seriously? You're offering me fee-free assistance? I'm

Customer Question

Seriously? You're offering me fee-free assistance?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford? The Ford Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: I'm skeptical... But here goes:
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you really just SIRI in diguise?
JA: No. I'm the Ford Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Is this a computer-generated dialogue?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: You are just a software program, aren't you...
JA: I'm an assistant to the Ford Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Are you HAL9000 resurrected?
JA: No. I'm the Ford Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Are you ASE Master Tech certified?
JA: No. I'm the Ford Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Dave is pulling out your processing modules. Does this upset you?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** can i help you today ?

your initial conversation is pretty funny i might add lol.

what is the year and model of your car?

2012 ford ???

and what is the issue you are having?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, Lou.
2012 Ford Focus SFE, 87,500 miles
Over time, my brake pedal feel has become mushy and seems to travel too far before significant brake engagement.
That is, in spite of replacing rotors and pads on all four corners and cycling out the brake fluid to ensure no air entrapment.
The vehicle does stop well once the brakes are fully engaged. I have no warning lights and no abnormal ABS behavior.
**To me, it feels as if the rear brakes are not enging soon enough.**
My next step is to install SS brake hoses on all four calipers and perform a full bleed.
I have a couple of questions about my brake system:
1) Is there a brake hold-off or proportioning valve located within the MC or ABS valve body?
2) Could air possibly be trapped within the ABS valve body that could cause this symptom?
Thanks for your help.(###) ###-####
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

thanks for the reply i will go over it and reply back soon :)

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

here is some info about the brake force distribution

Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)

On initial application of the brake pedal, full pressure is applied to the rear brakes. The ABSmodule then uses wheel speed sensor inputs to evaluate rear wheel slip. Once the rear wheel slip exceeds a predetermined threshold, the ABSmodule commands theHCUto close the appropriate isolation valves to hold the rear brake pressure constant while allowing the front brake pressure to build. This creates a balanced braking condition between the front and rear wheels. If the rear wheel slip continues and exceeds a second predetermined threshold, the ABSmodule commands the HCUto open the dump valves to decrease the rear brake pressure and allow the rear wheels to recover. A slight bump sensation may be felt in the brake pedal when EBDis active. If the ABSis disabled due to Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) being present in the ABSmodule, EBDcontinues to function unless the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are for wheel speed sensors or the HCU. When EBDis disabled, the ABSwarning indicator, the red brakewarning indicator and traction control indicator illuminate.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

brake fluid is a motorcraft dot 4 LV

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

also you need to use a scan tool to bleed the abs unit, that can stiffen up the pedal slightly, your thought of ss lines can help or even new brake lines but keep in mind that with abs systems today the pedals are not as firm as they used to be in older cars, so as long as the car stops good and holds i would not think too much into it. i worked with a guy that would replace a master cylinder on every newer car because the pedal sank at a stop. well they all pretty much do based on manufacturer of hydraulic units, you can hold the pedal and feel it sink all the way to the floor, to me that is the fluid leaking past the valves of the abs unit as we all know that hydraulic fluid cannot be compressed. so it has to go somewhere ,

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

so if there is no air in the system and the fluid is fresh and new, i would have a shop do the abs bleed procedure and bleed the lines one more time and go from there. also keep in mind that if you have a bent wheel bearing or warped rotor or rusted surface between the bearing face and rotors you can actually cause the same issue , the rotor will push back the brake pads in the caliper so each time you press the brake the caliper has that much more space to travel, also on some rear calipers i have found that the caliper piston retracts all the way back instead of holding position, so check that as well, i used to have to adjust the caliper piston back out to touch the rotor, depends on if you have the rear calipers that the pistons spin in to retract or extend. hope this helps., Lou P.

let me know if you find this helpful, thanks again.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I appreciate your sending me the technical information about ABS operation as it relates to rear wheels anti-lock operation.
And, I'm already onto the DOT 4 LV (Pentosin brake fluid).
I hear what uou're saying about the pedal feel of ABS equipped vehicles. However, there is a significant difference between my car's brake pedal feel and a virtually brand new 2016 Ford Focus SEL I recently rented.
Any additional helpful information you can share with me?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

ok so you cannot compare those 2 cars lol

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

if anything i would say the brake hoses are the big factor as they wear internally and are the only place besides the hydraulic unit that the fluid has room to expand in.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's weird that there is very, very little information about rubber brake hoses and how they can affect braking perfomance as they age. Not to mention the fact that I have never, ever seen a recommended replacement interval for this wear-and-tear item.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

i agree with you, but all of us in the field know that rubber does not last forever and that is where the dark color comes from in the fluid, that and moisture.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lou, can you reply with the official brake bleed procedure for my car that includes bleeding the ABS/TCS HCU?
Thanks.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

yes sir give me a few min

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

here you go.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is

ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up

information if needed, Lou P.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lou, I'm having trouble finding an obd scan tool that includes ABS actuation function. Can you recommend one? Thanks.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

autel,

snap on verus or solus

matco higher end scan tool.

check ebay , most local parts stores do not have the correct scan tools to do this.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may receive my credit for assisting you. Thank you.