Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I replaced my brake pads and they only lasted 12k miles. I

Customer Question

I replaced my brake pads and they only lasted 12k miles. I noticed there was a lot of brake dust on the wheels during this time. I then replaced my front & rear brakes, rotors, & calipers and after driving it for a couple of miles my rotors became to hot to touch.
JA: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: rotors are brand new. truck has 107k miles
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2013 f-150 fx4 ecoboost
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have been trying to fix this myself. Flushed brake fluid. New brakes, rotors, & calipers.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Service traction control light came on prior to replacing the pads about 12k miles ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

a lot has to do with quality of brake pads. the cheapest is never the best. if the material is soft, it will wear much quicker under normal conditions. the newer vehicles use ceramic compounds which work much better and last a lot longer under the same conditions.

it means spending for the pads but well worth the money.

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They are powerstop evolution brake pads & rotors. I think the problem is something different. Why would the rotors become to hot to touch after driving just a mile down the road?
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, did not now this info

do the wheels spin freely when jacked up off the ground??

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

when this happens, do they turn red from heat??

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not red, hot enough that I cannot hold my finger on the rotor after driving just a mile down the road.
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

I suspect a sticking brake hose that may be causing the calipers not to release right away

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All four rotors are getting hot. The fronts hotter than the rears. This would be from a brake hose?
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

do the brakes work ok??? no issues???

if they do, then it may be a normal condition. was there any issues during the repair

Roy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The brakes work good. No issues during the repair.
Expert:  roy replied 8 months ago.

ok, then it may be normal except for the dust/ that is from the pads. not much you can do there except get pads that are ceramic and will cut the dust out

Roy