Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

Instrument cluster does not work, tach jumps when started

Customer Question

instrument cluster does not work, tach jumps when started but does not work
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine 4.0 starts and runs battery only 3 months old also seems like its stuck in 4x4 has auto, 4 hi 4 low
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 97
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 1997
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: bad bad purchase big mistake. someone cut off cargo area fabricated small bed on back,upon removal of instrument cluster found rats nest and wires to the plugs to back of instrument cluster chewed bare. we cut out bad areas and spliced in new wire and it still fails to work. checked fuses but not sure about relays
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What model of vehicle do you have?

How were the wires spliced back together? i ask for this might need a full harness replacement do to the wires being twisted pair wires for the signal. Since they were interfered with, the signal gets lost for the cluster and you won't get a proper signal to the cluster like you are experiencing. There are certain lengths and so many twists per inch or the cluster will not work. It sounds like that set of wires was cut/damaged.

Also, I suggest pulling the cluster and having Ford test it to make sure it isn't malfunctioning itself. That will eliminate a lot of headache as well before going through this wire by wire for the vRef signals.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!