Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have 2003 4.6 liter Ford Explorer XLT and need a new

Customer Question

I have 2003 4.6 liter Ford Explorer XLT and need a new motor. I have people telling me that I can replace it with an engine from a newer model Explorer and shouldn't confine my search to just 2003. Is this true and if so what is the latest year I can put in?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 153,000 automatic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a friend who is fixing it. The original problem was the timing chain guides blew into a million pieces
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i think thsats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I have checked a few things, You can run a range from 2002-2005 with near direct interchange, What I mean is in any swap, you place engines side by side and transfer parts one from the to other, All should change over 100% in the years mentioned, Post 2005 my checking shows some changes that could affect this so, use the years I mentioned and hopefully you can find a good lower mile engine to use as replecement