Cary York
Cary York,
Experience:  Auto Tech at Certified Auto Repair
94946450

Truck sat in storage. Tried to get going and a "click" at

Customer Question

Truck sat in storage. Tried to get going and a "click" at solenoid. Replaced starter and now the starter stays on after it is running. Auto place says bnot the starter, I say they are full of shit.
Replaced firewall solenoid and same deal. Starter does not run when key is off.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn over at all?
Customer: Engine runs fine. starter stays engaged with the flywheel is the problem
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1995 f150 300-6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Engine starts and runs fine. "Refurb" starter does not return, and stays engaged with flywheel.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cary York replied 9 months ago.

I have seen low battery voltage cause this problem. What is the battery condition?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Brand new. I believe the refurb starter to be faulty, but they "tested"it and it is good according to them
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
then purchased and installed a fender mounted solenoid (thinking that was the problem), installed it, and same results.
I know it sounded crazy but I've seen it 2 or 3 times. Anyway, were you using the truck before it sit? No problem?
Once the truck is started and the starter is engaged in spinning it will not release have you tried tapping on the starter to see if would disengage?