Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

I have a 2005 Ford Excursion. It seems to run fine normally,

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 2005 Ford Excursion. It seems to run fine normally, although I have noticed a small amount of transmission fluid on the ground from time to time. I attached my 2 horse bumper pull trailer yesterday and drove it one mile to the car wash. There was white smoke coming from underneath the front and it had a burning smell. And there was a small amount of transmission fluid on the ground again. The vehicle rested while I washed the trailer. But driving it a mile back to the barn, it did it again. What could be wrong?
Thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

It sounds like you have one of the lines for your transmission cooler leaking. The line runs near the exhaust and most likely you are getting some of the fluid on it.

I suggest getting under the vehicle (or have a professional do it) and trace the lines from the transmission to the cooler (looks like a small radiator under the radiator) and se if one of the lines has a leak. That is the first step I would do because the fluid is flammable and if it gets really hot from a good travle, it could catch fire under the hood.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The answer doesn't address why the vehicle is fine unless towing something behind it.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

You just wrote that it has a leak with fluid on the ground.

Did you go under the vehicle to see where the fluid is coming from?

When towing, the pressure is higher because there is more load on the transmission.