HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

My 2004 6.0 powerstroke excursion turns over but wont start,

Customer Question

my 2004 6.0 powerstroke excursion turns over but wont start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes. batteries are less than year old. even fully charged both up overnight
JA: What is the model of your '04 Ford?
Customer: DOM 01/04
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: was gonna try. when cranking no smoke or anything out of exhaust, unplugged ICP and nothing, cleaned ICP connectors nothing.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: my wife drove it all day no issues. next morning went to start and nothing. kinda at a loss
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, do you have access to a scan tool to pull codes and check the icp and ipr readings? No aftermarket performance modifications? No warning lights on or flashing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No warning lights. Does have a sct x4? Haven't tried the codes yet
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Ok need to sart with codes first, since you unplugged the icp you will probably have a code for that. Make sure the icp is over 500 psi or the engine will not fire the injectors.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No codes were found. The scanner I have doesn't read icp. However the voltage reading is 11v before start then 8v while starting. I'm wondering if there is an issue with my batteries
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

The voltage is low but if it is enough to crank you should enough for it to run. Will need to know what the icp and ipr are doing. No codes is good, but you will need to dig farther to know why it isnt starting

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
found out one of the batteries were bad. gotta wait for store to open tomorrow to replace. would this cause a no start. seems this would prevent from cranking at all