A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 2001 ford ranger with a 6 disc cd player. It has

Customer Question

I have a 2001 ford ranger with a 6 disc cd player. It has issues with ejecting some cds, they get caught just before ejecting past the door. I recently had one that was too far back into the slot to eject. So I took the cd player out again and pulled the cd out from the front. Probably wasn't the best way to do it but it came out. Now the cd player says all 6 slots are full, but there are no cds in it. What can I do to clear up this issue. Is there a way to reset the cd player?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i would like to do this myself. I have had this problem multiple times, but usually if i stick a credit card in and hit the eject button, the cd would come out. This time it didn't work so I removed the cd player from the truck and pulled out the cd.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think that's it. Just that after removing the cd from the player and re-installing it in the truck it now says that "all slots are full" and there is no cds actually in it. Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 months ago.

The CD player/radio will need to be either repaired or replaced. When you pulled the stuck CD out, part of the mechanism got jammed and that is why it is stating all slots are full. We send them out for repairs, but you can check around your area and see if there is a repair shop in your area. You can also get a used one from a used auto parts supplier.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, well that's what I was afraid of. Should have opened the top and pulled out the cd that way. Anyway, thanks for the help.

No problem. Your welcome. Sorry it was not what you wanted to hear. Ford does not even let us repair them. We just replace them or send them out for repairs at the dealership.