Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Brake engages when clutch is pressed, no, 97 ranger xlt,

Customer Question

Brake engages when clutch is pressed
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 97 ranger xlt
JA: What year is your Ranger?
Customer: 1997
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. Nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

So you are saying you can drive the vehicle, but if you press the clutch in to coast the wheels lock up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They don't lock up, but when I press the clutch, it drags the brake pedal and doesn't allow it to return completely. The result is braking/slowing while depressing clutch fully, and the lack of the brake pedal return doesn't release the brake lights. The last issue caused a dead battery twice before I realized what was happening!

Thanks, ***** ***** brake lights are coming on, that means the brake pedal is physically going down when the clutch is pressed. This means you have an issue at the top of the clutch and brake pedals with the hinge pin, bushing, or bracket. The rotation on the clutch pedal hinge pin is also twisting the hinge pin to the brake pedal and pushing it down as well. Your focus needs to be the top of both pedals to look for damage and worn parts there.

If you're confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where might I be able to get an image of a complete assembly so I know exactly what I'm looking at when I make the repair?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This also doesn't sound like an easy repair and likely will require either the removal, repair, and/or replacement of the entire pedal assembly, yes?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Didn't answer the follow up questions. Not very helpful for the nearly $30 dollar charge.

Sorry for the delay. Here is a diagram.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris