AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2011 focus starts, but no power when i press on gas. It just

Customer Question

2011 focus starts, but no power when i press on gas. It just sputters then stalks out. Starts everytime, dies 5 seconds later
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Is the check engine light on? Are there any coes in the computer? Are you looking for some possible causes? What has been replaced for this already?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No check engine light. Was kind of hesitating a few weeks ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I havent done anything. I need to figure out issue.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for that information. The most common cause of this condition would be a bad/weak fuel pump, bad mass air flow sensor and or a bad oxygen sensor. Also, dont forget about the tune up parts (Spark plugs and coils) as they can cause the engine to misfire if they go bad too.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a way i can check to see if it's one of these problems? And when you say 'misfire', in layman's term, what does that mean?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Misfire simply mean that the engine is NOT FIRING correctly

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

You can only test the oxygen sensor and mass air flow sensor using special expensive equitment. However, you can check the fuel pressure using a simple fuel pressure gauge.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope, that eliminates one thing. How does one check for weak fuel pump? Also for air flow and oxygen sensor?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and take a reading. That is how to check for fuel pressure.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

The mass air flow sensor and oxygen sensor needs to be checked by reading the live data on a scanner.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well i appreciate your time. Thought i could get a simple solution fix. I'll have to let my car guy check all that then.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I did give you a simple fix solution. It is most likley one of those three things.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Not sure what more you could ask for provided I cant even see your vehicle.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mean simple as in.....i can do it myself and i am unable to because i don't have the equipment to check your advice. I wasn't being rude of that's what you thought. A person can't just wrench on cars anymore. Everything is with sensors and boards. I miss the 'drinking beer and getting dirty days'.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i won't.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

I hear you and I understand completely. Keep in mind, I am just trying to help you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know and i appreciate it. Have a good holiday.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Thanks a million and you too!!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!