Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 1991 Ford F-150 5.8 liter v8. It starts then dies

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Ford F-150 5.8 liter v8. It starts then dies starts right back up but dies after a few seconds. Tried to use front and rear gas tank changed fuel filters, ignition module, and relay. I had to fix a wire harness due to some rats. In process of removing rear tank cause it rusted out. Not sure that's going to help seems like it's a sensor or electrical thing
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and stay running you need good spark at the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injectors and proper fuel pressure (32 to 45 PSI) . When the engine stalls and dose not want to stay running can you check each one of these things to determine what you are lacking and post back with this and I will see if I can help you determine the cause.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok so an update. I have replaced the rear fuel tank and gas was clean everything appears to work with fuel tried to test pressure but guage was broke and would not read pressure. Truck runs well when it starts up but just dies like turning the switch. In process now of replacing ignition switch. So when running it does great no misses or anything. Just not sure what switch/sensors could cause it to die.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Are you able to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes, in most cases if you have a failing sensor there will be a fault code setting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No pretty sure I fixed it with ignition switch will test tonight
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay Im here if need be.