Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

1998 Ford escort w,/ auto trans. Throws a ccode saying

Customer Question

1998 Ford escort w,/ auto trans. Throws a ccode saying neutral safety switch is bad. Is this an owner replaceable part,?
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: Ist not a clutch, but a neutral safety switch
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, nothing yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 175000 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

HI there,

This is actually not a bad part to change on these. This is likely something you can do on your own. It's mounted on the transmission and if you remove the air cleaner box you should be able to access it without much trouble.

HERE is a link to the replacement procedure.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

HI there,

Hadn't heard back from you so I thought I would check and see if you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** out the vehicle, it's a friend of my sons. I towed it back to his place. The radiator is low to empty, no visible external leaks. (Head gasket?) So haven't got to it yet as it's the 4 th.
Thank you.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

I would do a pressure test on the cooling system to see if that's a head gasket issue. With the age and mileage it could be a lot of things. Enjoy your 4th and be safe. Thanks for getting back to me!