Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Tick in valve train. 127000 One exhaust leak at manifold,

Customer Question

Tick in valve train.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 127000 One exhaust leak at manifold
JA: What is the model of your '125001 Ford?
Customer: 2005 F-150
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Can not fix myself. Dealer had truck for 23 days. Refused to fix under my extended warranty they sold me when I purchased the truck a few months ago. They say there is no Failure
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When they unhooked the right side phaser the tick on the left side went away.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The cam phasers make noise on the 5.4 and 4.6 and its a pretty common problem, I would think that would be covered, but they are probably saying that is has not completely failed. You would think that they would want to repair now before it fails completely and then the entire engine needs replacement. That is how it goes though, I have to deal with exteneded warranty companies on a daily basis, so I see this alot.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is the long term effect if I do not fix. Will cleaning the crankcase ( oiling system ) help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is long term effect. Does it sound right that the is around $2400?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The long term affect could be rough running, noise, misfires. Check engine light could come on. Yes that sounds about right for that job.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please rate the answer, it would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan