A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2002 explorer 4.0. I changed the oil and the oil flooded out

Customer Question

2002 explorer 4.0. I changed the oil and the oil flooded out the oil filter. Tighten the filter a little more and the same thing happened. Changed the filter and the same thing happened.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 140,000. Good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Two filters so far .
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This the first time I have ever seen this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.

Did the oil come out from between the oil filter and where is mounts on the engine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure. The first filter I put on, and hand tightened, filled with oil, saw a drip coming from oil filter. tightened a little more , started the enging and oil came rushing out.

First, make sure there is a gasket on the oil filter and not another one on the engine where the filter attaches. If both gaskets are there, you will get an oil leak when the engine starts.

Check the oil filter you removed and make sure the gasket is still on it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No its not a double gasket. compared the old and new filters and gaskets. Could the surface where the gasket meets be damaged? I cant see anything wrong.

I doubt it. Make sure you have the proper filter. And it should only be put on hand tight and then a 1/4 turn.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Second filter I tried did the same thing. I'm working alone so its hard to see where its coming from. There was not a leak before I changed the filter.

Make sure it is not the drain plug either. They are right next to each other.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it is the filter. is there a fix if the surface where the gasket meets is damaged?

Does your engine have an oil cooler where the oil filter mounts. Basically are there heater hoses going to the adapter for the oil filter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Make sure it is not coming from the seal between the oil cooler and the block. It has a gasket there also. If the adapter where the oil filter screws on came loose, it will cause the upper seal to leak because the adapter tightens up and holds the oil cooler to the block. We have seen them come loose from guys like Jiffy Lube overtightening the oil filters and the adapter unscrews with the filter.