Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a ford f-150 2007 5.4L it steel run like a diesel and

Customer Question

I have a ford f-150 2007 5.4L
it steel run like a diesel and the idle
I change the camphaser, timming chain and the tensioner, VCT solenoid, the air filter, the sparplug the gaz and the oil filter
and fill my gaz tank whit super and it steel run like diesel when I put it in drive or reverse
what can be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

These engines are notorious for phasers and VCT solenoids sticking from oil feed problems to the cylinder heads. Cam sensor codes do not mean the sensors are bad. Not all VCT issues will set cam codes, so you might or might not have them stored in the PCM. They can be set by any timing drive component that is making the valve timing incorrect due to over retarded or over advanced cam timing due to a sticking or inoperative phaser/VCT. The bad or sticking phaser or VCT solenoid is usually the result of the problem not the root cause. Here is a list of what I check or replace on these every time I get one in with phaser noise, VCT codes, cam sensor codes or misfires caused by VCT issues. Before any disassembly the PCM data pids for VCT error correction should be monitored to confirm it is a VCT issue. If the vehicle won’t run, a compression test can also verify the VCT problem.

• Oil Pressure. Any thing under 25 at idle will cause phaser issues. Oil pressure needs to be steady and not fluctuating. If low or fluctuating suspect crankshaft thrust bearing wear. This can be verified by a simple end play check. Also if engine is sludged in the least amount there could be oil starvation to the valve train which is also very common on these and can be verified by pulling a few cam caps on each side, it will be obvious if there is an oil supply issue to the valve train by the condition of the caps and journals.
  • VCT valve body/solenoids. Have seen many issues with solenoid plungers sticking and restrictions in valve body due to plugged or collapsed screens.
  • Timing chain tensioner gaskets blown. This will cause oil pressure bleed to the valve train and affect phaser functionality.
  • Camshaft phasers sticking due to contamination or low oil volume/delivery pressure.
  • Crankshaft endplay, I don’t bother fixing the engine if endplay is over .010”
  • Oil pump, I change if there was any evidence of sludge or varnishing. There are passages in the pump that clog and can cause oil starvation problems.

Here are some pictures of failed cam and caps:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m1w7rmoc61mzba/5.4%20cap.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nds792qxj8lqqvd/cap.jpg?dl=0

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how I can check the oil pressure in the motor? or I need a special tool?
I hate that motor!!! always something wrong
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

I agree bad engine. You need an oil pressure gauge, most auto parts stores will loan or rent them for a small fee. You remove the oil sending unit near the oil filter and install the gauge in its place. The engine must be fully hot and have the engine in gear at idle with the A/C and all accessories off. Needs to be over 25 psi and steady.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Thanks,

Kenny Z