Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

2003 Ford Ranger 2.3 2 wheel drive, 220,000, and yes, I am.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 Ford Ranger 2.3*****
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is this the first time you're dealing with this issue?
Customer: 220,000, and yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. I replaced the fuel pump. Didn't work, so I bought a scan tool. Code 2004 came up, replaced the intake manifold control valve, which was visably broken. Did not work. Have checked vacuum lines they are good
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Only that it starts and does not run, but for a couple of seconds. I erased the 2004 code but still have a red light on o2, cat, eva, htr and egr
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** you had a fuel pressure gauge on the vehicle at the time of stall, and if so, was it showing fuel pressure?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

Let me know what all you have done, thanks Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Scott,
It died just driving down the road. I have lost fuel pumps before, felt like a fuel pump. I replaced that, the fuel filter. Still did not run. I bought a scan tool. It said that I had a 2004 code. I found that the front end of the intake manifold control valve was rusted and broken apart. I replaced that. It still does not start. I disconnected the battery overnight and lost the 2004 code and the MIL icon, but still have a red cat, eva, o2s, htr and egr. I did try to check the fuel pressure, but the shraeder valve is way in the back on the rail and could not get the hose on it. I still have a green mis, fuel and ccm
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

Have you tried checking the MAF sensor for contamination, make sure sure air filter is intact, you can also try disconnecting the MAF sensor and try starting it several times and then see if it stays running. If it does I would replace the MAF sensor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will do that, thanks. I have checked the air filter and vacuum lines.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

Another possibility is a plugged cat convertor, since you were driving down the road when it stalled it may have melted down, when these plug they will start and die also just like a MAF sensor, you can drop the exhaust and see if it stays running.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had thought of that, but didn't want to do that until I was sure that it might be the problem
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

You can also remove the O2 sensor and install a pressure gauge and see if it is plugged.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How much pressure should there be?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

There should be no more than 3 psi under load.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would a few seconds running give me an accurate read?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

Yes, if it is plugged I have seen the gauge go past 10 psi then stall.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Awesome, I will start with the easiest and go from there. Thanks for the info and wish me luck. It ain't much, but its all I have and it has been very good to me!
Expert:  Scott W. replied 5 months ago.

Ok yes good luck, thanks for your business!