Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

I have a 2004 ford expedition with a 4.6L engine AWD XLT

Customer Question

hello.... I have a 2004 ford expedition with a 4.6L engine AWD XLT vehicle. The automatic transmision died on it. I found a 2004 5.4L engine AWD transmission I can use. Will this trans work if I put in my expedition with the 4.6 engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Your transmission with the 4.6L is a 4R70W. The 5.4L can be a 4R70W or a 4R100. As long as the trans is a 4R70W it will bolt up and plug in. The only difference between the 4.6 and 5.4 4R70W is the torque converter stall speed is slightly different, around 200 rpm. It is possible you will feel a reduction in torque.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.